What to Check Before Buying Used MacBook?
So are you shifting from Windows to Mac and that too with a limited budget? Then in that case buying a second hand MacBook with warranty and tech support will be best option for you. Also, by purchasing a used MacBook will help you in saving money. So, in this article we’ll cover some of the important steps that will help you in ensuring the fact that the Mac you’re purchasing won’t shut down the next very day of buying it.
It is extremely important for an individual to perform some of the diagnostic tests by visiting the MacBook repair service center.
- Check for damages: First and the foremost thing you need to check for the damages. Carefully examine the Macbook for any physical damages. Next, go for checking the screws. If you found any loose screws, then you can ask the seller to get it fixed by going for MacBook repair centers.
- Check how old is that Mac: Check for the actual age of the Mac with its serial number. You’ll find it over the Mac next to the regulatory markings.
- Boot this Mac: Ensure the fact that the MacBook you buy starts and macOS loads for taking it to the desktop. For this, you need to boot this system up. Hold together the option or alt key and then you’ll hear the startup chime.
- Disable firmware password: Most of the MacBook users set passwords in their devices. By enabling the firmware password can decline the request from starting your Macbook from the USB. While starting up the MacBook, hold down the Option/Alt key. If you found this firmware password, then ask the owner to turn it off.
- Check the display condition: For spotting the dead pixels on the display, you can open pictures with mono-color background such as red, green, blue or white. Then open this image in the used Mac. If the pixels are damaged, then you’ll notice small spots on the display. If you find any malfunctioning in the screen, then it is vital that owner considers MacBook Air screen replacement for getting display proper.
- Run a keyboard test: For testing malfunctioning of the keyboard, you can use the macOS text edit add. Type every character and functional keys of the keyboard.
- Check the optical drive: If the MacBook has an optical drive, then insert DVD or CD disk for checking if it works fine enough.
- Run webcam diagnostics: Use the face time app for testing the iSight camera.
- Check the S.M.A.R.T. status: This is one of the advanced steps for the users of MacBook. The word S.M.A.R.T. stands for Self-Monitoring Analysis and Reporting Technology. This would further test the hard drive for errors.
- Check the battery: MacBook is greatly known for its excellent performance of the battery. Thus, it is vital for checking that it doesn’t drain out just after sometime of usage. For this, you can visit MacBook repair service center for knowing its battery status.